HPSM’s Ride Benefit
Medi-Cal and CareAdvantage members who have no means of transportation to approved health care visits can use HPSM’s Ride Benefit.
HPSM’s ride provider is American Logistics Company (ALC).
This benefit provides free rides to approved health care visits
Approved health care visits include medical, pharmacy, dental, mental health and substance use disorder appointments covered under Medi-Cal when no other form of transportation is available. Rides to nonhealthcare services (such as schools, gyms, government offices, grocery stores, etc.) are not covered.
All ride requests must go through ALC
Medi-Cal members: To schedule a ride, call 1-844-856-4389
CareAdvantage members: To schedule a ride, call 1-877-356-1080
TTY users: call 1-800-735-2929 or 7-1-1
Have your HPSM ID card ready when you call
Things to remember before you call:
- Call at least two (2) business days (Monday-Friday) before your appointment
- For urgent appointments, call as soon as you can (including after hours)
- Caregivers and parents/guardians may go with the member
- The driver will be scheduled to pick you up at least an hour and fifteen minutes (75 minutes) before your appointment time so that you arrive at least fifteen (15) minutes before your scheduled appointment time
- The driver will only wait up to five (5) minutes at your pick-up location so please be on time and ready for your ride
- If you need to cancel a ride, you must call ALC at least two (2) hours before the scheduled pickup time to avoid a no-show on your record
HPSM must pre-approve rides that:
- Start and/or end outside of San Mateo, San Francisco or Santa Clara Counties
- Are more than 50 miles one-way
- Have pickup and drop-off outside of San Mateo County
Types of Rides that are Covered
HPSM checks all rides to make sure this benefit is used the right way. Members who do not follow program rules are put on a restricted ride list. Members must then get HPSM approval to request rides.
Rides that are covered
- Approved visits for medical, dental, mental health and substance use care
- HPSM-approved visits for rehabilitation therapy and diagnostic testing
- Picking up prescription drugs at the pharmacy
- Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) or Narcotics Anonymous (NA) meetings
Rides that are NOT covered
- Non-healthcare settings (such as schools, government offices, grocery stores, gyms, or shopping malls)
- Health care settings after open hours or when you did not have an appointment
- Pharmacies where you did not pick up prescription drugs
- No-shows for scheduled rides