CalAIM at HPSM
To support some of California’s most vulnerable populations, the Department of Health Care Services (DHCS) is rolling out a multi-year initiative called CalAIM — or California Advancing and Innovating Medi-Cal — starting in 2022.
The goal of CalAIM is to improve health outcomes for Medi-Cal members through changes in delivery systems, programs, payment processes and an expansion of services. In 2022 HPSM will begin contracting with providers in two new categories: Enhanced Care Management and Community Supports.
Enhanced Care Management (ECM)
ECM is a Medi-Cal only benefit offering comprehensive care management service for our highest needs members (IMPORTANT: Please review eligibility details section below). The services help members address their complex care needs through support that is person-centered and community based. Only members in specific populations of focus are eligible for this service. Some exceptions may apply based on eligibility. See below for eligibility details.
The ECM provider appoints a lead care manager who will work to coordinate a care plan that addresses medical and social needs. The lead care manager coordinates care with the members’ current providers and can support in coordinating their HPSM benefits and other available resources aimed at improving health outcomes. These services are voluntary.
Members who were enrolled in the Multipurpose Senior Services Program (MSSP) or Whole Person Care (WPC), which included the Community Care Settings Pilot (CCSP) and Bridges to Wellness (BWT), before January 1, 2022 were automatically enrolled in ECM.
All other newly identified members must be Medi-Cal members. Medi-Cal members with a Kaiser assigned PCP need to seek ECM services through Kaiser. CareAdvantage members do not qualify for ECM.
Medi-Cal members must fall into one of the following populations of focus to be eligible for services:
- Adults (21 or older) with medical issues who are unhoused (experiencing homelessness):
- Experiencing housing insecurity.
- Living with a chronic medical condition that will benefit from care management support.
- Adults with high utilization of health care services.
- Six or more avoidable emergency department visits in the last 12 months OR three or more skilled nursing admissions or inpatient admissions in the last six months.
- Adults (21 or older) with one or more serious mental health or substance use disorders (SUD):
- Mental health or substance use diagnosis.
- At lease one complex social risk factor influencing health.
- Pregnant or postpartum OR two emergency department visits for SUD in the last 12 months OR high risk for overdose, suicide or institutionalization OR using crisis and urgent services as primary source of care.
- Adults (21 or older) at risk for long term care admission
- Presence of qualifying factors for long term care currently or imminent without wrap around care.
- Adults (21 or older) with high utilization
- Five or more emergency department visits within a 6-month period that could have been avoided AND/OR
- Three or more unplanned hospital or short-term skilled nursing stays in the last 6-months.
Members eligible for ECM services may also be good candidates for a 1915(c) waiver program; however they cannot be enrolled in ECM and a 1915(c) waiver program at the same time.
Community Supports are optional services or settings that are offered to eligible Medi-Cal and CareAdvantage members in place of services or settings covered under Medi-Cal. Community Supports are not a benefit but are medically appropriate and cost-effective alternative services. The goal of these services is to improve the health outcomes and quality of life of Medi-Cal and CareAdvantage recipients by addressing Social Determinants of Health (SDOH).
Medi-Cal and CareAdvantage members that qualify may be authorized to receive Community Support services. Members may already be authorized to a Community Supports provider and may have received a letter notifying them of their qualification for these services. All HPSM members continue to have access to HPSM’s care coordination support care management team.
Members who are eligible for the Enhanced Care Management benefit will be eligible for Community Supports.
A member may be eligible for Community Supports if they meet the following basic qualifications:
- Active HPSM Medi-Cal or Care Advantage member.
- Engaged with a Care Manager.
- Willing to receive community supports.
For detailed information and service-specific eligibility criteria, please see DHCS' Community Supports Policy Guide.
Some exceptions may apply for members assigned to Kaiser for primary care.
HPSM offers seven Community Support service options to qualified members through our contracted Community Support providers:
- Housing Transition Navigation Services: providing support to include but not limited to advocacy, housing search and coordination of resources based on the member’s individualized needs.
- Housing Deposits: identifying, coordinating, securing, or funding one-time services and modifications necessary to enable a person to establish a basic household (except room and board) based on the member’s individualized needs.
- Housing Tenancy and Sustaining Services: provides tenancy and sustaining services to include but not limited to advocacy, coordination, linkage to resources, life-skills coaching, and health and safety visits with a goal of maintaining stable tenancy once housing is secured based on the member’s individualized needs.
- Nursing Facility Transition/Diversion to Assisted Living Facilities, such as Residential Care Facilities for Elderly (RCFEs) and Adult Residential Facilities (ARFs): provides coordination of services to facilitate nursing facility transition back into a home-like, community setting and/or prevent skilled nursing admissions for Members with an imminent need for nursing facility level of care (LOC). Members have the choice of residing in an assisted living setting as an alternative to long-term placement in a nursing facility when they meet eligibility requirements.
- Community Transition Services/Nursing Facility Transition to a Home: provides coordination of services to qualified members which includes but not limited to covering nonrecurring home set-up expenses for eligible members who are able to transition from a licensed facility into the community and prevent further institutionalization based on member’s individual needs.
- Environmental Accessibility Adaptations (Home Modifications): provides physical adaptations to a member’s home that are necessary to increase independence or ensure the health, welfare, and safety of a member in their home, without which the member would require institutionalization.
- Medically Supportive Food/Meals/Medically Tailored Meals: provides medically tailored home-delivered meals for members with chronic conditions to help achieve their nutrition goals at critical times and help them regain and maintain their health.
Authorization for Services
Enhanced Care Management and Community Supports services require prior authorization. Providers or care managers, who intend to refer a patient for Enhanced Care Management or Community Supports services, should review capacity and eligibility criteria before submitting any prior authorization forms. A provider list and authorization tips are available in the link below.
Request Enhanced Care Management services
- Review Provider List and Authorization Tips
- Complete the HPSM Prior Authorization Request Form.
- Fax the completed form to: 650-829-2079
Request Community Supports
- Complete the HPSM Prior Authorization Request Form
- Complete the Community Supports Request Information Form
- Fax the completed forms to: 650-829-2079
If you are not able to assist a member with requesting prior authorization for these services, and they are interested, please direct members to contact HPSM Care Coordination/Integrated Care Management. The team can assess member’s needs, support with resources, and assist with completing a prior authorization form to request services.
Links to Other CalAIM Resources
- ECM and CS Provider List and Authorization Tips
- HPSM Prior Authorization Request Form
- CS Request Information Form
- Onboarding Training Videos for ECM and CS Providers
- ECM Information for HPSM Members
- CS Information for HPSM Members
- HPSM Care Coordination/Integrated Care Management
- DHCS Enhanced Care Management Policy Guide
- DHCS Community Supports Policy Guide