Language Training & Resources
To help providers meet our members’ language assistance needs, we offer both HPSM and external resources that include personalized language training for your office, a free online course in culturally competent care and a range of educational materials.
Schedule a personalized language training for your office
HPSM Provider Services can provide a video training session for you and your staff about how to:
- Identify and address the needs of patients with limited English proficiency (LEP) and/or literacy limitations.
- Work effectively with interpreters.
- Use language and literacy tools and services available to HPSM providers and members.
To learn more or schedule a training for your office, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Take an online course
Accredited health care professionals (such as physicians, physician assistants and nurse practitioners) can earn CME credit by completing a free online course called A Physician's Practical Guide to Culturally Competent Care.
To learn more, call Health Education at 650-616-2165
Posters for your office
- Ask for an interpreter – Explains in multiple languages that HPSM members can ask for an interpreter at no charge to ensure clear communication with providers. Hang it on your waiting room and office wall so members know they have this option.
- Multilingual interpreter services – States in 26 languages that “You have the right to an interpreter at no cost to you. Please point to your language.” Hang it on your waiting room and office wall so members can choose their preferred language.
- Provider Language Assistance Checklist – Will help you meet both HPSM members’ language assistance needs and HPSM’s documentation requirements.
- Tips for Working with LEP Patients – Summarizes best practices for effectively meeting patients’ language assistance needs.
- Tips for Working with Interpreters – Includes detailed, step-by-step guidance for effectively working with interpreters during telemedicine and in-person visits.
- Tips for Communicating Across Language Barriers – Provides guidance on how to effectively communicate with LEP patients and meet their language assistance needs.