COVID-19 Resources for Members
Telephonic Medical Advice
While HPSM’s office is closed to visitors until further notice, your healthcare remains our top priority. The staff at HPSM is working to ensure that medical advice and resources are available for all members. Below is a guide to the right number to call based on what kind of advice you need.
As always, if you have a medical emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room
A medical emergency is a medical condition that could result, without immediate medical attention, in any of the following:
- Severe pain or injury posing a danger to health
- Critical dysfunction of any bodily functions, organs or parts
- For a pregnant woman in labor, when transfer to another hospital could endanger the health or safety of the mother or child
For medical questions about coronavirus disease (COVID-19) or symptoms you have , call your primary care provider (PCP) or call HPSM's Nurse Advice Line at 1-833-846-8773
Getting tested for COVID-19
- HPSM members with COVID-19 symptoms that wish to get tested for COVID-19 should contact their PCP.
- HPSM will cover the whole cost of the test. HPSM members will not be charged, including any cost-sharing.
Please note that there is a shortage of tests available in the United States. The Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) does not recommend testing for most people with mild or moderate symptoms.
If you think you may have COVID-19:
- Call your primary care provider (PCP) or call HPSM's Nurse Advice Line at 1-833-846-8773.
- Ask your doctor for a phone or video appointment. Many providers can give you advice over the phone or see you by video. This service is fully covered by HPSM. Ask your doctor if they provide telephone or video visits.
- Stay home and call ahead before visiting your doctor. It’s important to stay away from other people and avoid spreading the disease to others in your community. Call your doctor before you go so that you know how to protect yourself and others.
- Wear a face mask when around other people (such as people in your home).
- Wash your hands frequently for 20 seconds.
- Visit the CDC’s website for more information.
What to do if your doctor’s office is closed
Use HPSM’s Provider Directory to find another primary care provider. You can also call HPSM for help finding a new PCP.
- CareAdvantage: 1-866-880-0606 (toll-free) or 650-616-2174
- Medi-Cal/HealthWorx/ACE: 1-800-750-4776 (toll-free) or 650-616-2133
- TTY users: 1-800-735-2929 or dial 7-1-1
If you need care more quickly, visit one of HPSM’s contracted Urgent Care clinics.
Get non-emergency medical care
For non-emergency medical advice, call HPSM’s Nurse Advice Line
The Nurse Advice Line is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Just call 1-833-846-8773. This is a covered service for all HPSM members. A Licensed Registered Nurse (RN) will give you advice when you think you need urgent medical attention, but you are not sure. A nurse will ask about your symptoms and tell you:
- If you need to go to Urgent Care
- If you can wait to see your doctor (within 24 hours, 3 days or longer)
- How to take care of your symptoms at home
If you are assigned to Dr. Charlotte Gonzales or Dr. Damon Lee, ask the clinic staff for information about their Nurse Advice Line services.
For non-emergency medical care not related to COVID-19
Call your doctor and ask for a telephone or video visit. Many providers can give you advice over the phone or see you by video. This helps protect you and others from being exposed to COVID-19.
This service is fully covered by HPSM. Ask your doctor if they provide telephone or video visits.
Note: not all appointments can be completed by phone because your doctor may need to exam you in person. Ask your doctor if your needs can be met by a phone or video visit.
Other important numbers
- Health-related transportation: Call American Logistics Company (ALC) at 1-844-856-4389 to schedule a pick-up and drop-off
- Mental Health or Substance Abuse Services: Call San Mateo County Behavioral Health and Recovery Services (BHRS) at 1-800-686-0101