If you test positive for COVID-19 and have medical conditions that make you more likely to get very sick from COVID-19, there is treatment that can lower your chances of needing to go to the hospital or of dying from COVID-19. HPSM members get COVID-19 treatments at no cost. Talk with your primary care provider (PCP) or visit a Test to Treat location to see what treatment is best for you. Don’t delay! COVID-19 treatment must be started within days of when you first have symptoms.
Who is likely to get very sick from COVID-19
People who are likely to get very sick from COVID-19 include:
- Adults 50 years or older (the older you are, the higher the risk of getting very sick from COVID-19).
- People who are unvaccinated.
- People with certain medical conditions that weaken your immune system like cancer or diabetes, or people who smoke or are not physically active.
If you are not sure if you are more likely to get very sick from COVID-19, talk with your PCP.
How to get COVID-19 treatment
- Talk with your primary care provider (PCP). If you qualify for treatment, your provider will give you a prescription for treatment. You may go to your local pharmacy to fill your prescription for COVID-19.
- Go to a Test to Treat location. These sites offer COVID-19 testing and can give you treatments if you qualify. Find a location.
- Go to other healthcare facilities. Your PCP can also refer you to a treatment location if the treatment must be given at another healthcare facility. You may also check Stanford’s COVID-19 treatment eligibility criteria. If you think you meet the eligibility criteria, complete Stanford’s COVID-19 treatment referral form. Someone will then contact you to discuss whether COVID-19 treatment is right for you. If you need help completing the form, call 650-391-8503.
Get no-cost rides to approved health care visits
HPSM members can use HPSM’s Ride Benefit to go to any health-related visits or to pick up medicines at the pharmacy. Learn more about HPSM’s Ride Benefit.