COVID-19 Information for Members
The COVID-19 crisis has left many people struggling to meet their basic financial and food needs. The community resources listed below can help.
Before visiting any community resource in person, please call them first or consult their website for instructions on how to access their services. Many public agencies, including HPSM, are limiting direct contact as a preventive measure against COVID-19 transmission.
- The Affordable Connectivity Program offers qualified households discounts on monthly broadband internet service and the one-time purchase of a laptop, tablet or desktop computer
- Catholic Charities - If you are an undocumented immigrant who did not receive a stimulus check, this Bay Area community agency can may be able to provide relief funds. Funds are limited to 150,000 California families, so call 866-490-3899 as soon as possible. Lines are open 8am to 8pm Monday through Saturday.
- County of San Mateo Department of Housing (for information about local eviction protections)
- California Department of Education (for information about subsidized internet plans)
- California Public Utilities Commission (for information about utility protections)
- The Emergency Broadband Benefit (EBB) Program will provide up to $50 a month for internet costs to eligible Medi-Cal members during COVID-19. Visit EBB’s website to find out if you qualify and apply.
- Housing Is Key (resources for tenants and landlords)
- Legal Aid Society of San Mateo (for resources related to COVID-19 on rent payment, evictions and declaring financial distress)
- San Mateo County CORE Services Agencies
- State of California Employment Development Department
San Mateo County has many great resources to help people get nutritious food for free or at reduced cost. Easily find resources that meet your needs using HPSM’s Guide to Food Assistance Programs.
Any HPSM member or participant can get no-cost legal advice on COVID-19 issues from the Legal Aid Society of San Mateo. Their professional lawyers can answer questions about:
- The status of COVID-19 rental assistance
- The status of employee benefits and protections related to COVID-19
- Protections for people applying for permanent residency to get COVID-19 vaccines, tests and treatment
- How to get COVID-19 testing, vaccines and treatment as an undocumented person
Get no-cost legal advice by calling 650-558-0915. For more information about COVID-19 legal questions, visit www.legalaidsmc.org/covid19.