COVID-19 At-Home Test Kit Repayment
The California Department of Health Care Services (DHCS) will reimburse you through Medi-Cal Rx for the retail cost of COVID-19 test kits you purchased at pharmacies. DHCS will reimburse each member for four test kits per month (up to eight total). You can get repaid for more kits if a provider orders or administers them after an individualized clinical assessment.
- To get reimbursed, you must have been eligible for Medi-Cal at the time you bought the test kits.
- For tests purchased on or after February 1, 2022, you must send DHCS a prescription, which a pharmacist can provide when you buy tests.
- For tests purchased between March 11, 2021 and January 31, 2022, you must send DHCS a receipt.
To get reimbursed for at-home tests, call or write to:
The California Department of Health Care Services / Beneficiary Services Center
P.O. Box 138008
Sacramento, CA 95813-8008
For more information, visit the DHCS FFS reimbursement instructions webpage
HealthWorx and CareAdvantage members and ACE Program participants
You can use HPSM's Direct Member Reimbursement (DMR) process to get repaid for at-home test kits you bought. HPSM will reimburse each member for four test kits per month (up to eight total). You will be reimbursed at the full dollar amount (i.e., whatever you paid for the test kits). Polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests for travel are not covered for repayment.
- Test kits must be FDA-approved. It will say on the box if a test kit is FDA-approved.
- If you bought a test kit that is not FDA-approved, HPSM will pay a one-time reimbursement. To get reimbursed, call or email Member Services or CareAdvantage. Any additional tests you want to be reimbursed for must be FDA-approved.
Homebound Members can get reimbursed for test kits bought from online retailers (like Amazon, CVS or Walgreens).
- To get reimbursed, follow the DMR process above.
- HPSM will pay you back for test kits bought on or after January 1, 2022. We will not pay for test kits that you bought before that date.
To get reimbursed for at-home tests, email a picture of the test kit box and receipt to CustomerSupport@hpsm.org.