Health Care Services
HPSM’s Medi-Cal plan covers many health care services, including;
- Appointments with HPSM network providers
- Preventive care (such as health exams, screenings and more)
- Urgent care
- Skilled nursing facility care
- Hospital services
- Adult day care through Community Based Adult Services (CBAS)
- Care through the Multipurpose Senior Services Program (MSSP)
- Medical emergencies: call 9-1-1 or go to the nearest emergency room
Medications prescribed by your doctor are covered. Some medications may require prior authorization: talk to your doctor. Some over-the-counter medications may also be covered, but must be prescribed by your doctor.
Co-pays: Medi-Cal providers and pharmacies may charge a $1 co-pay for some services and prescription drugs. However:
- Medi-Cal providers and pharmacies may charge a $1 co-pay for some services and prescription drugs
- Hospitals can charge a $5 co-pay for non-emergency care provided at an emergency room. Check with your provider or pharmacy to see whether they charge a co-pay for services or medications.
Share-of-cost (SOC) payments: Some Medi-Cal members must pay a monthly fee towards their health care expenses. The County of San Mateo Human Services Agency determines if you must pay SOC based on your earnings. Call their Health Benefits Information line at 1-800-223-8383 to learn more.
Nurse Advice Line
This toll-free phone hotline is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Just call 1-833-846-8773.
Registered nurses are on hand to answer questions about your symptoms. They can tell you how urgently you need to see a doctor and may give you advice for self-care at home.
Care Management program
Helps get your doctors and HPSM all working to give you the focus and support you need to stay healthy. Your personal Care Manager helps you set health goals and make a plan for achieving them.
For more information, visit our Care Management page or call 650-616-2060
HPSM’s Health Education Unit
Provides information on a range of topics and support programs, such as:
- How to quit tobacco and other similar products
- Managing your diabetes, asthma, blood pressure and more
- The Baby + Me Program, which connects pregnant women and new moms with a range of support resources – and offers participants up to $100 in Target GiftCardsTM
Free rides to health care appointments, the pharmacy, and other health care services
For members who don’t have other means of transportation to health care services. To schedule a ride, call American Logistics Company (ALC) at 1-877-356-1080 at least two (2) business days before your appointment (ALC is open Monday through Friday). If you have an urgent appointment, call as soon as you can.
Free interpreter services
If your doctor does not speak your language, interpreter services are available by phone and video. Just ask your doctor to call an interpreter during your visit. In special cases, an interpreter can go to the visit with you.
Doctor’s visits by phone or video
Many providers can give you advice over the phone or see you by video. Telephone and video visits are fully covered. Call your primary care provider (PCP) to check if they provide telephone or video visits.