Celebrating Black History Month
Since 1976, every American president has designated February as Black History Month and endorsed a specific theme. This year’s theme is Black Resistance, which explores how "African Americans have resisted historic and ongoing oppression, in all forms.”
Throughout Black History Month, we’ll raise awareness about both the history of Black health care professionals resisting the medical establishment’s discrimination and health disparities most affecting our Black members. We will also recognize the progress made in health care and share information about services, resources and programs available to address those health disparities.
Working to achieve health equity for our Black members
- We proudly promote the work of San Mateo County’s African American Community Initiative (AACI) and Behavioral Health Services’ Office of Diversity and Equity (ODE). Attend AACI’s Black History Month Celebration on February 11th!
- We promote awareness, wellness and recovery. Check out our Health Tips pages to learn about the importance or prenatal care, general well-visits and breast cancer screening. Also follow us on Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn throughout Black History Month to learn more.
- We offer resources to help our members stay healthy and celebrate their resilience by partnering with San Mateo County’s Black Infant Health Programs (BIH).
- We offer health equity trainings for our network providers to make sure they have tools needed to give our members culturally inclusive care. For example, recordings of our 2022 “Black History Month at HPSM” and “Barriers to Black Breastfeeding” webinars are on our YouTube channel.
Learn more about Diversity, Inclusion and Health Equity at HPSM
Stay tuned for more cultural awareness month celebrations coming in 2023!
- May – Asian American & Pacific Islander (AAPI) Heritage Month
- June – Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex & Asexual (LGBTQIA+) Pride Month
- July – Disability Pride Month
- September 15 to October 15 – Hispanic Heritage Month
- October – Filipino American History Month
- November – Native American History Month